If you've found yourself reading this article then the chances are you're considering a career as a professional dog trainer.
In this article we will help you understand how you can become a professional dog trainer and hopefully help you decide if this could be the right career choice for you.
With an estimated 12 million plus dogs in the UK alone and fewer than 5000 dog trainers, the demand for professional dog trainers has never been higher.
Read on to find out if you have what it takes to become a dog trainer.
Who can become a dog trainer?
Anyone can become a dog trainer regardless of their prior education, background or life experiences. But just because anyone CAN become a dog trainer that doesn't mean just anyone should become a dog trainer.
Here's a few qualities you should have:
- A passion for working with dogs and their owners
- Good observational skills
- A willingness to learn (we never stop learning)
- A willingness to fail and try again (what works for one dog might not for another)
- Experience owning a dog or spending time around other peoples dogs.
How to Choose a Qualification:
When choosing which qualification to choose, you should consider how you want to learn. Most qualifications have a strong bias towards either the practical side of dog training and neglect the theoretical side whilst others focus too much on the theory and lack the practical application of dog training.
We encourage you to choose a blended qualification that explores the theory thoroughly whilst also allowing you to hone your practical skills.
Finding YOUR People:
Who you hang around with matters. A lot!
Choose a qualification that incorporates community. Studying with others will help you build friendships and colleagues for life. Dog training can be a lonely place sometimes so finding a community you can rely on will really help.
Find a Mentor:
Getting mentored by a qualified and experienced trainer is crucial when you're just starting out. The more you learn about canine behaviour and training the more you realise you don't know. Find trainers who inspire you.
One of the most important decisions you will make on your path to becoming a professional dog trainer is choosing the right qualification for you. When a simple Google search brings back hundreds of options it's often difficult to know which way to turn.
The qualification and certification route you take is one of the most important decisions you will make.
Gaining experience is a crucial part of becoming a dog trainer. We encourage you to get out there and volunteer with local trainers, rescues, day cares, groomers, walkers, vets or kennels to get as much experience as possible. Ideally you will experience different breeds, ages and temperaments of dogs.
Dog Trainer Certification Program:
Dog Training College's 'Dog Trainer Certification Program' is the leading program for aspiring dog trainers. Over 1000 others like you have already enrolled in this Program since its launch back in December 2020.
Here's just 11 reasons 1000+ others like you have chosen to enrol on the Dog Trainer Certification Program:
- It's recognised. There are few dog professionals who haven't heard of the Dog Training College so you can be confident this qualification will be recognised industry wide.
- It's accredited. This Program has been externally accredited to ensure it meets the very highest standards.
- An outstanding curriculum. This level 4 equivalent Program doesn't just cover dog training. It explores the intricacies of canine behaviour, the minefield of legislation and the huge opportunities of great marketing.
- It's flexible. Take the program at your own pace and get qualified in as little as 3 months or take as long as you need.
- It's accessible. Lessons are video based and include subtitles, motion graphics, audio downloads, transcripts and live sessions as standard. Plus there's practical tasks for you to go away and apply your learning.
- You get lifetime access. You get to keep and refer back to the program for life. Plus you benefit from free updates whenever we make changes to the program.
- You learn from world leading teachers. DTC brings together some of the world's leading dog experts to deliver their courses. Previous experts have included; Dr Susan Friedman, Michael Shikashio, Dr Ian Dunbar, Susan Garrett and so many more.
- You get weekly Mentoring/ Coaching. Attend up to 6 drop in coaching calls each week with qualified and experienced senior dog trainers who are actively working with dogs. This is your opportunity to ask questions and discuss case studies.
- The Community. When asked, graduates of the Program often state that the community kept them going when life got tough. You won't just meet fellow students, you'll make life time friends and colleagues.
- There's an App! Students get to study whenever and wherever they like. You can access the Program on desktop or via our state of the art IOS and Android apps.
- We'll give you clients. As a DTC graduate you'll get a free listing on our directory, findadogtrainer.com, so that you can receive free referrals from the College for as long as you're a dog trainer.
You can learn more and apply for the Dog Trainer Certification Program by clicking here.